Monday, January 1, 2007

Sawadee bee mai!

For all who heard of the New Year's bombings in Bangkok, don't worry! I was far away, and the street on which we spent New Year's eve was patrolled by bomb-sniffing dogs.

Well, I've completed my journeys in Thailand, and I'm looking forward to going back for a less touristy, holiday-oriented visit. Perhaps the best part of my New Year celebration was sitting down for dinner at a long table next to a garbage-infested canal behind our hotel, and realizing that we were eating only with Thai people, none of whom spoke English, and all giving us strange looks that plainly said "You with all your money, why are you eating here?" Nevertheless, it was by far the best sixty cents I've ever spent for amazing Panang curry.

I am now beginning to settle in to Auroville. We've settled our accomodations and unpacked--now the rest of the week is dedicated to tours (by bike) of the township. I knew that I had a lot of misconceptions when coming here, but I definitely didn't expect this! It will take a bit of getting used to, but I'm enjoying the process.

I've already eaten the best Thai food and Indian food of my life, and have only been here for a few days. What more can I ask? By the way, Sarah, your chai is very authentic. I can barely taste a difference, except they don't add sugar...

So, Sawadee bee mai (Happy New Year) and thanks for all the concern!

5 comments:

Devon said...

So, I looked at the website. Is Auroville a religious community? Their website seemed to talk a lot about Divine Consciousness and the like.

I'm glad you weren't anywhere near the bombings. Admittedly I wasn't even aware you were there until I read the blog entry.

So, not sure about what technology you have access to, but do you have any way to show pictures of your trip? I think it'd be great.

Happy New Years, and hello from Oregon.

Gyo said...

From the relieved parents: Not hearing from Sarah for more than 24 hours after the bombings was a tremendous exercise in reason over the fear that she or another member of her group was hurt. One of her first discoveries on arrival in Bangkok was that her Cingular cell phone wouldn't work (supposedly quad-band) and the MCI calling cards wouldn't work either. We knew she could only contact us by finding an internet cafe or phone shop (as she did on Friday) and the 15 hour difference in time zones left us knowing the phone shops and cafes were probably closed and that while we were wondering how or if she'd been affected, she was probably sleeping peacefully dreaming of her cat.

We are so glad you are safe Sarah and of course very proud of you. Enjoy the food and tell us the experiences when you can!

Dad & Mom

Jan (Sarah's mom) said...

You were in London in summer of 2004 when the terrorists struck there. Now it's 2006, you're in Bangkok, you haven't been out of the country since 2004 and there is terrorism again. Are you paranoid yet?
Be safe and keep having fun.
Mom

GJ said...

Don't listen to your parents worry too much (not that you would, as I know you're used to it)!

I'm very glad that your New Years wasn't interrupted, and that you have all your limbs. I was quite relieved to hear this.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Much love,
Dirk

p.s. you should try to post pictures if at all possible!

Sarah said...

I would LOVE to post pictures, if I hadn't deleted all of them... next chance I get (could be weeks at the pace we're going right now), I'll sift through one of my friend's pictures and take the ones that are good...